Targeting the South Bay Area of Los Angeles County, Community Prevention (CP) affects substance abuse and related issues by fostering environmental change through community action: mobilization of community on policy and advocacy campaigns and issue based awareness, education, promotion through media and event campaigns.
Policy Advocacy and Youth Leadership Programs
Community Prevention campaigns on alcohol, tobacco and other drug prevention (ATOD) policy advocacy and mobilization take place in the South Bay of Los Angeles County target key cities. Organizers work closely with adult volunteer based community coalitions who serve as a voluntary substance abuse resource and advocacy arm for their target community.
- Carson – Richard Bis, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gardena – Jessica Abaya, email@example.com
- Inglewood – Traci Saruwatari, firstname.lastname@example.org
- El Segundo – Tiffany Tan, email@example.com
- Redondo Beach – Carol Almeda, firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer high school youth groups meet on a weekly basis for training, planning and leadership development activities. The youth advocates collaborate to host drug free events and drug prevention campaigns addressing youth issues and community policy in their respective city/region.
- Carson Student Health Advocates (CSHA) – Carson
Staff Contact: Richard Bis, Community Organizer
- High School Task Force (HSTF) – Gardena
Staff Contact: Tiffany Tan & Jessica Abaya, Community Organizers
- Youth United in Creative Action (YUCA) – Inglewood
Staff Contact: Traci Saruwatari, Community Organizer