Agency: AADAP, Inc.- Prevention Unit
Job Title: Community Organizer- Tobacco Policy Advocacy
Role: Non-Exempt Employee
Salary: Commensurate Upon Experience
Opening Date: Immediately
Closing Date: Until Filled
Open Positions: One (1) Full-time
Submit Resumes to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Community Organizer mobilizes the assigned community to impact change around youth tobacco access and use issues through policy advocacy based campaigns. The Community Organizer implements a strategic plan under the supervision of the Prevention Coordinator.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- TARGET AREA ORGANIZING (70%):
- Conducts comprehensive community assessments of assigned target area.
- Mobilize community stakeholders and residents around tobacco prevention policy actions.
- Navigate, cultivate, and negotiate policy awareness and support with City decision makers and City staff.
- Recruit, train, and guide youth and adult volunteer base through community based tobacco prevention campaigns.
- Conduct mobilization through issue awareness, leadership development, skills building, and coalition building efforts.
- Implement strategic action plan involving youth and adult volunteer base based on the Policy Adoption Model and the Midwest Academy Strategy Chart.
- Conduct public opinion surveys and other related assessment surveys in identified cities.
- Conduct tobacco policy campaign efforts with community stakeholders and decision makers.
- Provide recommendations to strategy plans according to the emerging community needs, issues, and problems.
- COUNTY-WIDE ORGANIZING (15%):
- Provide technical assistance to other organizing bodies as assigned.
- Participate in County based provider and other coalition based meetings.
- Conduct advocacy around local, state, and federal policy decisions as determined.
- ADMINISTRATIVE (10%):
- Comply with City, County, State and Federal contractual agreements.
- Submit billing reports and other reporting requirements as assigned.
- Maintain accurate files on organizing activities and evaluations.
- UNIT AND AGENCY (5%):
- Attend Unit and Agency sponsored meetings and functions.
- Represent AADAP at local, state and federal forums, conferences, and other activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES):
- Four-years of college education related to field or equivalent work experience related to field.
- Permanent resident or U.S. Citizen; proof of work eligibility upon hiring.
- Valid California Drivers License, current minimum automobile insurance, and an appropriate motor vehicle.
- Must have at least three (3) years of recovery or a drug free lifestyle as of the date of application.
- Must be able to work with people of diverse cultural, educational, social, and economic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in computer operations.
- Demonstrated community organizing experience and background.
- Ability to pass criminal background check to work with children and adolescents.
- PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience in community organizing and policy advocacy efforts.
- Knowledge of substance abuse (particularly tobacco) related issues.
- Knowledge and understanding of South Bay cities and communities.
- Passenger Endorsement License
- Fluent in Spanish (verbal and written)
- Revised 12/11/18 js